Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Last Days of a School Year

The last days of a school year, to me, are the most difficult. The children have spring fever. Hey, sometimes even the teacher does. For some reason I have had spring fever this year. I just want to be outside in the sun. I guess I need to enjoy it before the heat and humidity of summer comes. I strongly dislike the heat of a southern summer.
However, there are many skills left to teach to ready my students for 5th grade. They seem so immature. Also, they are beginning to get on each others nerves. In a classroom, you are limited by the size and furniture layout of your room. I have some students that no matter where I move them they will either be near someone they don't get along with or by someone they will talk to. Go figure. So we will try to all get along, learn something and not go bonkers before school lets out.
I find myself mentally preparing for next year when this year is not even over yet. I guess we are forever learning. You must learn from this years mistakes, while you still remember them. Summer allows a teacher to forget the frustrations of one school year to have the courage and determination to try it again.
I really do love teaching. Not the paper work and all the other stuff that just has to be done. But, the actual light bulb moment.
I feel I have really grown this year as a teacher. I know I have as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment