Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up?

Jenny asked Jon the other day,"What do you want to be when you grow up?" Then she asked me. Being 5 she obviously doesn't understand when you are considered grown up. (or maybe she does?) I told her that the most important job a woman will ever have is being a mom.
But, her comment also made me think about how our career choices change as we grow. (Jenny wants to be a pediatrician, a cheerleader, and a rock star!!! This is changing daily.)
My journey to my current career.
When I was in 7th grade I wanted to be a lawyer. Since I love to talk and argue my point, this career choice made since. Also, I loved watching shows such as Law and Order and Judging Amy. This career choice was actually a plan to later become a judge!
Then in 8th grade I had an awesome creative writing teacher . So then I wanted to be a writer. Thanks to this teacher and discovering this important outlet, I have now written thousands of poems. I have one poem published in a book. I also, won some poetry contests in high school. So far I have written two children books and hopefully will have them published someday.
Between my junior and senior year s of high school I took some college classes at JDCC (Brewton's communty college). One of the classes was Psychology. I loved it. So then my plan was to be a child clinical psychologist. This is why I often over analyze things. I enjoy trying to figure people out.
Well, I went to JDCC for a year on a scholarship and then went to Auburn.
I received a minor in Family/ Child Development and a Bachelor's in Arts (Psychology). Then I planned to attend graduate school. I was told that if I didn't have at least a 3.5 GPA to not bother applying to a doctoral program. I graduated with honors and a 3.47 GPA. So it was time to regroup.
Now up until this point I had commented many times that I would never ever want to be a teacher. Then I decided to try a graduate program in special education working with EC (emotionally conflicted) children. I figured this would be close to being a child clinical psychologist. Well I was in the program for two quarters. It was an alternative masters program that was designed to only take five quarters to complete. Well I was at the end of my second quarter and I hadn't worked with any students!!! This alarmed me. Also, I kept hearing about the high burn out rate.
I said to myself, Why spend all this time and money for a job that I might be able to do for 5 years? NO.
I then transferred to AUM and completed a masters program in Elementary Education. I love the actually act of teaching. You know the light bulb moment?
P.S. For the people who said I would not be successful in a doctoral program because my GPA was to low, I graduated with a MEd with a 4.0 GPA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment